Latest information from the Hubble Space Telescope, provided by the Space Telescope Science Institute
Last updated: 1996.07.28
The following links are to Web pages at the Space Telescope Science Institute. Each
page contains links to pictures of the phenomenon being described, usually captions
for the pictures, sometimes press release texts and background information.
The Hubble Deep Field
- The Hubble Space Telescope ventures deeper into the universe than anyone has
ever gone before.
Warped Disk in Beta Pictoris
- The warp in the disk may indicate the presence of a planet in orbit around this
- Hubble finds searchlight beams and multiple arcs around a dying star.
Direct Image of Betelgeuse
- First ever direct image of the atmosphere of another star.
Planetary Nebula NGC 7027
- A photo of the stellar death process.
Laser in Eta Carinae
- Photograph of a laser beamed from a chaotic star (N.B.: natural lasers are a
recent discovery, though natural masers in space have been observed for several
- An hourglass-shaped nebula (MyCn18) discovered around a dying star.
The Surface of Pluto
- First photos and maps of the surface of the furthest planet.
The Globular Cluster Mayall II
- The brightest globular cluster in the local group of galaxies.
- Gases in collision in the neighborhood of a dying star.
- Homing in on the nucleus.
The Planet Uranus
- Hubble gets some good views of its atmosphere.
The Planet Saturn
- A rare edge-on view of the rings.
The Whirlpool Galaxy
- Looking at its nucleus.
The Planet Saturn
- The November, 1995, ring-plane crossing.
The Expansion Rate of the Universe
- Using the Hubble to measure the rate.
Crab Nebula Dynamics
- Includes an MPEG movie.
Doomed Star Eta Carinae
- A supermassive star on the eve of destruction.
The Most Distant Galaxies
- ...as seen by the Hubble Deep Field.
The Hubble's 100,000th Exposure
- ...a quasar nine billion light-years away.
Diameters of Pulsating Stars
- ...measured by the Hubble Space Telescope.
Stars Are Born
- ...in nebula NGC604, M33 spiral galaxy.
Early Building Blocks of Today's Galaxies
- ...a picture of 18 young galaxies.
Rare Hubble Portrait of Io and Jupiter
- ...a planet and its volcanic moon.
Bright Starbirth Region
- ...in a dim galaxy.
- ...in Jupiter's aurora.
Neptune's Rotation and Weather
- ...as an MPEG movie.
Springtime Dust Storm on Mars
- ...near the North Pole.
- ...of two nearby binary systems.
Summer '96 AAS
- Results using Hubble data.
Sendu demandojn kaj proponojn al
Don Harlow <email@example.com>